One of my favorite Christmas presents this past year is a little book called Chew on Life’s Big Questions by a little company called SoulPancake. This company was co-created by a little actor, Rainn Wilson, otherwise known as Dwight Schrute from the American version of ‘The Office’. I love the fact that someone who played such an annoying character on TV has such a philosophical mind and pursues the genuine parts of humanity.
I am big into asking, and talking about big questions. I think this is something that is really important. I feel conversation nowadays has become very shallow, and not very thought-provoking. And so I love this book because it makes me think.
I have a journal where I process through each question in the book. It’s a challenge, but I love it. I’m going through the book in no particular order, and I think that’s the exciting part; just opening the book to a random page, and mulling over the question on that page. But since I got the book, there has been a question that I keep thinking about. I think it’s one of my favorite questions because all of the responses it conjures up in my mind.
What one eye-opening experience should every person have?
Initially, I only thought of one experience. But as the months have gone by, I keep thinking of more. I don’t think there is one singular eye- opening experience everyone should have. There are many.
- Traveling to another country (or countries)
- Learning how other people see you
- Having your pride and ego checked
- Being independent for the first time
- Being alone for a period of time
- Being challenged by opposing viewpoints and perspectives
- Learning that ignorance can’t be used as an excuse after a certain point
- Persevering when all you want to do is quit
- Re-reading your favorite book more than once
- Reading religious texts that aren’t part of your religion
- Recognizing and being able to name your flaws
- Doing something wild and beautifully impulsive (within reason, of course)
- Being made aware of the horrors of history and around the world
- Finding something you’re passionate about
- Discovering your ancestry, and the stories that go along with it
- Being truly loved after heartbreak and heartache
- Moving forward from a bad mistake
- Being challenged past what you thought you could handle
- Experiencing life (and worship) in a third-world country
- Reading good, powerful books like The Color Purple and Fahrenheit 451
- Traveling in general, be it to another country or just another county (getting out and exploring places that are outside your small corner of the world is so important)
- Struggling to meet and/or not meeting expectations
These are some of the things I think everyone should experience, wondrous eye-opening things. I have dealt with a good portion of them, and they have truly been eye-opening experiences.
What do you think are some eye-opening experiences every person should experience in their life?
Ciao for now,